19990528: BUFR decoder

>From: "Kevin M. Lux" <address@hidden>

>I'm doing some research on the tornadoes in Oklahoma and I downloaded some win
>profiler data.  Problem is that the data is in BUFR format.  Is there a decode
>I can gain access to?
>
>Kevin
>
>----------------------------------
>E-Mail: Kevin M. Lux <address@hidden>
>Date: 28-May-99
>Time: 14:02:30
>
>This brain has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down.
>----------------------------------

Gempak provides a BUFR profiler data decoder (since profiler data is
distributed on the IDD  HRS feed in BUFR format). The program
is called dcprof.

Typical invocation for the data on the HRS stream using the WMO headers
IUPT looks like:

cat bufrfile | dcprof -p $GEMTBL/pack/profiler.pack \
        -s $GEMTBL/profiler_fsl.stn \
        $GEMTBL/grid/tableb $GEMTBL/grid/tabled YYMMDD_pro.gem

The data tables (tableb and tabled) mentioned above define the bufr parameters.

iFYI...
I have also provided a netCDF format profiler decoder (dcncprof) for
6 minute profiler data from FSL (The BUFR data is hourly summaries).

Steve Chiswell