19990525: Gempak x-windows problem

Tom,

Gempak requires the default visual of your display to be 8 bit
pseudocolor. If you are running your default visual in 24 bit mode,
then you will have to correct that. Use the xdpyinfo program
to check your default visual.

If you are running with the default visual in 8 bit mode but
still have trouble allocating colors, make sure that any
color intensive applications such as a web browser aren't running,
and use the "ntl" launcher in Gempak to obtain a shared colormap
within Gempak. When using ntl, it will alert you if you
do not have enough colors available on your system. You can decrease the
number of colors used by satellites for instance by using "ntl -s 64"
for eaxample to use 64 colors for satellites rather than the default 128.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support