19990419: LIFT question

Ray,
The calculation you are trying to do is very easy in grid programs
using the TMST(thte,pres) function, since this function will return
the temperature along a moist adiabat at a given pressure  and using
thte which you would calculate from your desired starting point.

There is not a similar function for sounding programs, and the 500 mb
level is hard coded in the $GEMPAKHOME/src/gemlib/ps/pslift.f routine-
though you may find LAPS or STAP useful for determining the instability
of a layer- which in effect is what you are using LIFT for.

If you create your own routine for the library, you will need to enter
the name and calling sequence into the $GEMPAKHOME/src/gemlib/pc/pcdfst.f
and pccstb.f routines which call the desired routines found in STNDEX.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support