19990318: gempak

>From: Chi-Fan Shih <address@hidden>

>Hi,
>
>This is Chi-Fan at DSS/SCD.  Could you tell me how to get the gempak
>package?
>Our wxp4.8 is not working.  We don't want to get wxp5.0 since its future
>is unknown.
>We do need to run  decoders on wetterhorn to make decoded netcdf files.
>
>If there are other options, please tell me.  Thanks.
>
>-- Chi-Fan Shih
>Chi-Fan Shih,  NCAR/SCD/DSS
>Tel:303/497-1833, fax:303/497-1298, internet:address@hidden
>Mail: NCAR, P.O. Box 3000, Boulder, CO 80307-3000

Chi-Fan,

Your message above mentions netcdf, which Gempak does not handle.
To download netcdf decoders from the anonymous ftp server
ftp.unidata.ucar.edu, obtain decoders.tar.Z from pub/decoders.
The NetCDF decoders are written in perl, and C for the GRIB decoder.

To download Gempak which contains its own decoders and display programs:
host: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
login: gbuddy
passwd: XXXXXX

download the compressed tarfile: nawips-5.4/gempak54upc_pl8.tar.gz

unpack the tarfile in a clean directory and edit the file Gemenviron
in the top level directory to define the NAWIPS environmental variable
to the path to the top level directory that you unpacked the distribution
into.

In your csh session, source the Gemenviron script to load the environmental
variables. If your site has compilers etc in typical places, you should
be able to build with:

cd $NAWIPS
make all
make install
make clean

If you have unusual settings, you will have to define those in
$NAWIPS/config/Makeinc.$NA_OS

All the Gempak decoders are the "dc" programs. LDM pqact.conf examples for
the decoders are shown in the Gempak tutorial.

Steve Chiswell