19990317: station location and panels..

>From: Maureen Ballard <address@hidden>

>Steve,
>
>A couple quick things.
>
>I just started plotting SME (Somerset, KY) and realized that the
>lat/long values are off. I looked up there location on NCDC and believe
>the correct information should be:
>
>SME    99999    SOMERSET (AWOS)    KY    US    3705    -8462    282
>
>Currently, you station lookup and all the tables here have:
>
>SME    99999     SOMERSET(AWOS)    KY    US    3800    -8460    283
>
>I'll be making the changes here but thought you should know.
>
>Also, am I correct in saying that the ps driver cannot make a GEMPAK
>image with panels? I moved some scripts to a computer which can't use
>gfw and the only things that wouldn't work were the panels so that is
>the assumption I made. If you could, could you let me know? Thanks!
>
>Maureen
>
>--
>
>Maureen Moore Ballard                   address@hidden
>Staff Meteorologist                           ph:  606-257-3000ext244
>Ag. Weather Center                         fax: 606-257-5671
>243 Ag. Engineering Bldg
>Dept. of Biosystems and Ag. Engr.
>University of Kentucky
>Lexington, KY 40546-0276
>HOMEPAGE   http://wwwagwx.ca.uky.edu
>
>You don't stop laughing because you grow old;
>you grow old because you stop laughing.

Maureen,

The station table values for SME in the GEMPAK tables came from the air weather
service tables, and are similarly confused in the NWS tables as seen at:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oso/siteloc.shtml

I checked with the FAA tables and find SME airport which matches the lat/lon
you mention above (as well as my standard old atlas). I'll see if I can get
confirmation on the location of the AWOS station relative to the airport
location and update the tables.

Regarding the drivers; only xw and gf can display imagery (radar/satellite)
data. the NC and PS drivers are not capable of displaying imagery since
the display of the data requires the X server. You can use the panel
option to create postscript displays of any other data however-

 MAP      = 6
 GAREA    = uslcc
 PROJ     = lcc
 SATFIL   = $SAT/MDR/5km/MDR/MDR_980806_1759
 RADFIL   =
 LATLON   = 0
 PANEL    = ll
 TITLE    = 5/-1
 TEXT     = 1/22/1
 CLEAR    = y
 DEVICE   = ps|testme.ps
 LUTFIL   = default
 STNPLT   =
 GEMPAK-GPMAP>r

followed by:

 MAP      = 6
 GAREA    = co
 PROJ     = str/90;-105;0
 SATFIL   = $SAT/MDR/5km/MDR/MDR_980806_1759
 RADFIL   =
 LATLON   = 0
 PANEL    = ur
 TITLE    = 5/-1
 TEXT     = 1/22/1
 CLEAR    = n
 DEVICE   = ps|testme.ps
 LUTFIL   = default
 STNPLT   =
 GEMPAK-GPMAP>r

then-

% gpend

The resultant image has a map of the us in the lower left, and a close
up of Colorado in the upper right.

Steve Chiswell