19990308: Corrupt NGM data?

>From: Rahe Peter J MSgt AFIT/ENP <address@hidden>

>For the last week or so, every time I try to bring up NGM model data using
>GARP, one of two things happens:
>
>       1.  The process hangs for a few minutes, then dumps a core with
>segmentation fault error.
>
>       2.  The process immediately dumps a core with segmentation fault.
>
>All the other models work fine.  Is there something causing corrupt ngm
>data?
>
>Also, when I start up GARP, I get a message that says:   !!!!!Whoa!!!!!!
>Free() got a 0x0.
>
>What does that mean, and how do I get rid of it?
>MSgt Peter J. Rahe
>Superintendent, Meteorology Lab Operations
>Air Force Institute of Technology
>Wright-Patterson AFB OH
>e-mail  <mailto:address@hidden> address@hidden or
><mailto:address@hidden> address@hidden
>DSN 785-3636 x4646  COMM (937) 255-3636 x4646
>Fax:  DSN 785-2921    COMM (937) 255-2921

Pete,
I don't see any problem with the NGM here. Are you able to run gdinfo
and other programs like gdcntr on the NGM file- and just GARP crashes?
Or is it a problem across the board with ngm?

You might need to check your $HDS directory and make sure there are no
"non-gempak" files in that directory with the string "ngm" in the name.
When Garp pops up the menu, it looks for all files in that directory with the
"ngm" string in the name to present the list of times. If it finds something
not recognized as a gempak grid file, that could be the problem.

Otherwise, doublecheck your pqact.conf entry that is running dcgrib
for the ngm data. If gdinfo doesn't show up any grids in the NGM files,
then the problem could be the GEMTBL directory in the dcgrib invocation.

The error message above (Whoa) is a check just in case the program
tries to free unallocated memory. This shouldn't happen usually- but
I recall that you had some problems with libraries etc on a new system-
this could all be related. The message is the memory check, and it prevents
something disasterous from happening in the unexpected case- so that shouldn't
cause you any problems- other than being annoying.

Steve Chiswell