19990305: GEMPAK access information

John,

I received word that your license update has been completed.

Here is the information for GEMPAK/N-AWIPS version 5.4:

machine: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
login: gbuddy
passwd: XXXXXX

I have in my records that you were interested in running under Linux.
You can download the linux binary distribution from the
directory: ~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/binary/linux/gempak5.4_pl8_linux.tar.gz
Since you have time constraints, that might be the best way to go initially.

To build from source:
download the file: nawips-5.4/gempakupc_pl8.tar.gz
Patch level 8 is the most recent tar file distribution.
You will need f2c and gcc, and Motif (usually must
be bought separately for Linux).

For either of the above cases,
Unpack the tarfile in a clean directory. Eg for the binary distribution,
gunzip -c ~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/binary/linux/gempak5.4_pl8_linux.tar.gz | tar xvf -

In the top level directory, edit the Gemenviron file and
define the NAWIPS environmental variable to be the top
level directory you unpacked the distribution in.
Once you have edited the Gemenviron file, source
the contents in your csh with "source Gemenviron".
You will need to have each account that runs GEMPAK source the Gemenviron file.

More information on Installing GEMPAK is found on the gempak WWW
pages at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/GEMPAK5.4/release_notes.html

GEMPAK uses a default visual of 8 bit pseudocolor. You must have
that configuration. Alot of PC's use a 24 bit default visual...
so you might need to configure that on your end.

You will probably want to sign up for the various email lists, especially
for being notified about software updates and data stream changes/outages.
You can register for email lists at: