19990302: small ps plots

>From: address@hidden (William Gallus)

>Hello,
>
>I would like to know if it is possible to create small .ps plots from
>gempak.  If I use DEVICE=xw, and give a new name to the X-window, I
>can create windows of smaller size by following the help instructions.
>However, when I try to use DEVICE=ps|small.ps|5.5;4.25  to create
>a smaller plot (one-half the size of 11x8.5), I still get the same
>large plot.  The help instructions therefore do not seem to be working
>for postscript files.
>
>Bill
>*  Bill Gallus                               *
>*  Dept. of Geological and Atmospheric Sci.  *
>*  3025 Agronomy Hall                        *
>*  Iowa State University                     *
>*  Ames, IA 50011                            *
>*  (phone) 515-294-2270                      *
>*  (fax)   515-294-3163                      *

Bill,

The ps driver hardcodes in sizes of 8.5x11 and 11x17 for
defining the paper trays of printers. Other than that, the
size information is ignored in the psopen.c routine which defines
the scaling as "0.03125 0.03125 scale".

You could either change that code logic and use the size information,
or, add a line to the ps.plt output file that defines a new scaling
for a smaller print.

In the ps.plt file, just after the %EndSetup and save lines, you
will find a line such as:
 .50 inch .25 inch translate 0.03125 0.03125 scale
(th

To shrink the resulting plot an additional 50%, you can add a line
immediately following the above scale line such as:
 .5 .5 scale

Steve Chiswell