Re: 19909222: problem with gempak5.4 on IRIX 6.5 with alloc of colors

> Mike,
>
> We are running 6.5.3 which has many bug fixes from 6.5.
> %uname -R
> 6.5 6.5.3m
I'm running 6.5.2.....

> When running interactively, ntl will allocate the color table
> and ensure that all the programs- even the command line
> programs using dev=xw or gf have access to the shared color table.
> Have you seen the problem after ntl is run?

I didn't try to run ntl after I saw this problem.  I do that when it
happens again.  Right now it is fixed, after rebooting the machine that
was running gempak.  I don't think it is a problem with the server side of
X since we see this problem on different Xserver platforms. (gempak runs
on the IRIX machine, but the image window opens on different
machines/Xservers.

A related problem is that when a new window is opened and a satellite
image is requested and clear=no, I get:
[GEMPLT -64]  NCBALOC  - Color bank not allocated.

However, the window does open and the raster data is plotted.  If
clear=yes, no problem.  I was using sfmap to do this.  Bug/feature?

> Assuming that the default visual is 8 bit (it must be), you might
> need to see if the revisions to 6.5 significantly patch the X server.
>
> Steve Chiswell
>
> **************************************************************************** <
> Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
> (303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
> address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
> Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <

Mike Leuthold
Atmospheric Sciences/Institute of Atmospheric Physics
University of Arizona
address@hidden
520-621-2863