19909222: problem with gempak5.4 on IRIX 6.5 with alloc of colors

>From: Mike Leuthold <address@hidden>

>Steve,
>       We are having a strange problem with gempak.  At times, we get
>
>[GEMPLT -46]  NCLRAL - Can not allocate read/write colors.
>[GEMPLT -64]  NCBALOC  - Color bank not allocated.
>
>which normally means that you have too many other windows open that have
>allocated colors.  However, this is not the case since I get this error
>even when using the Xvfb.  I've also seen where it does work during a
>single sesson, then quit when rerunning the same command after
>changing parameters, with the above error(s). This error occurs (for
>me) when I am trying to use satellite images.  thanks for any ideas.
>

>Mike Leuthold
>Atmospheric Sciences/Institute of Atmospheric Physics
>University of Arizona
>address@hidden
>520-621-2863

Mike,

We are running 6.5.3 which has many bug fixes from 6.5.
%uname -R
6.5 6.5.3m

When running interactively, ntl will allocate the color table
and ensure that all the programs- even the command line
programs using dev=xw or gf have access to the shared color table.
Have you seen the problem after ntl is run?

Assuming that the default visual is 8 bit (it must be), you might
need to see if the revisions to 6.5 significantly patch the X server.

Steve Chiswell