19990128: decoding GRIB files from NCEP FTP server

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

>I found out that the AVN files available from the NCEP FTP
>server contain output to 10mb.  I have downloaded one
>grib file for one time period (about 22.5MB) and would like to
>know how or if I can use the GEMPAK or McIDAS-XCD decoders
>to get at the stratospheric fcst data.
>
>Thanks,
>Robert Mullenax

Robert,
This data is also part of what we are distributing in the NMC2 model
data feed of high resolution data (1 degree global grids, 3 hourly
forecast periods out to 78 hours, about 650 MB per run).

To decode the data (via ftp or the LDM into gempak), cat or pipe
the data to dcgrib.

cat avn_gribfile | dcgrib PACK YYMMDDHH_avn_grid@@@.gem

For more information on the CONDUIT project where we are providing an
IDD feed of some of the OSO ftp server products, see:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/chiz/ncep_idd/

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support