19990126: gempak problems

>From: address@hidden (Kathy Fryberger)

>We have two gempak problems which I am sure are totally related to
>something I have forgotten to set up correctly.  First problem: select
>GARP, click on little left box that says 'radar and satellite', and
>we don't get any data listed.  I am told we should see some data files
>listed by times.  I am also told that we can see radar and satellite
>data thru MCIDAS so we must be receiving it.  Second problem:
>select NWX, click on 'Data', click on 'Public Products' then click
>on 'State Forecasts'.  No matter which city I click on (on the map), it says
>"NO DATA AVAILABLE FOR FPUS1 Kxxx".  Another problem in 'Public Products' is
>when I click on 'Local Forecasts', there are no red diamonds in North Dakota,
>South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, and Kansas.  Since we live in this
>area we would kinda like to see these forecasts. I am sure that I have
>configured something wrong for all these problems.  Please point me in the
>right direction to fix 'em.  If you need more info, please let me know.
>thanks!!!  kathy fryberger   South Dakota School of Mines etc.
>address@hidden  kathy fryberger  605-394-2291

Kathy,

Garp and NSAT use the $SAT environmental variable to point to thr top
of the directory tree of satellite and radar data, which should be stored
in the directory structure discussed at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/nsat.html

Public state forecasts are no longer issued under the header of FPUS1,
rather, they are FPUS6[1-6]. I announced the availability of updated
pqact.conf entries and NWX tables at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gembud-list/1137

Local forecasts are up to the individual forecast office, and are now being
issued under the FLUS8[1-6] headers, however, the area you mention is
generally issuing nowcasts rather than local forecasts under the
headers FPUS7[1-6].

Maintaining headers for the NWS products is a moving target.
I will be announcing updated headers for additional products in the NOAAport
data stream soon.

Steve Chiswell