19990121: Can't run Gempak

>From: "Rahe, Peter J" <address@hidden>

>I just loaded Solaris2.6 on a SPARC2 with 64MB RAM and for some reason can't
>run any Gempak scripts or programs (including GARP).  When I try to run
>GARP, I get an immediate response 'Killed'.  Nothing else, no other info.
>I'm running 2.6 on my server and can run GARP without a hitch, and all my
>2.5 machines work fine.  Any suggestions?
>
>MSgt Peter J. Rahe
>Superintendent, Meteorology Lab Operations
>Air Force Institute of Technology
>Wright-Patterson AFB OH
>e-mail  <mailto:address@hidden> address@hidden or
><mailto:address@hidden> address@hidden
>DSN 785-3636 x4646  COMM (937) 255-3636 x4646
>Fax:  DSN 785-2921    COMM (937) 255-2921

Pete,

Do gempak programs run, and then die when trying to create an xw,
or does it die as soon as you type "sflist" or "gpmap" for example.

If the programs dies immediately, and they were not built on the
sparc2 system, then it could be that the system libraries are not
compatible with those on your other system on which the executables
were built. If this is the case, we should check out the shareable
libraries that the executables are looking for on both the system that
works, and the one that doesn't.
Run the command: ldd garp
on both system configurations.

If the programs run, and then die when trying to create the xw display
(the gui's do this immediately, but a program like sflist which
doesn't use a display device would run, and a program like gpmap would
die as soon as the the deisplay was launched.
Try running ntl and see if it complains about the visual in this case.

Let me know what you find.

Steve Chiswell