19990112: yet another station table question...

>From: Maureen Ballard <address@hidden>

Maureen-

Steve's at the AMS meeting in Dallas all week, so I'll attempt to
answer.

>As we are involved in a project that will be periodically entering new
>stations to our research table, I am trying to find a way to make the
>addition of a new station simplier. Right now, the only way I know to
>edit/create a station table is to go into the file and visually make
>sure things are lined up in the same columns that they are in one of the
>tables that I got from UNIDATA. (and I have found that I do miss a
>couple periodically). What column numbers are associated with what
>headers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The routine tbastn.f in $GEMPAKHOME/src/gemlib/tb is the one that
reads the station tables.

Looking in the support archives:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/help_and_documentation/ghgempak.html

using "table format" as a keyword, I found the following references:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/2392
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/2419

which point to the page:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/station_tables.html

which explains the format of the station table.

>I am hoping to be able to write a short program that would ask the user
>to enter their data which would then be placed into the table. As I will
>be adding users and directories every time a new site comes into the
>project, I am trying to reduce the number of times I have to enter the
>same data.

You could use the format statement on the tutorial page to write out your
data to a station table.

Don Murray