[CONDUIT #RFO-442890]: GFS upgrade

Hi Carissa,

re:
> The GFS is being upgraded and we want to make sure you are aware and can
> test appropriately if needed.

Is the upgrade you are referring to the move to 0.25 deg resolution?

re:
> At a minimum the filenames will be changing.

This would/will be a significant change for end-users as their LDM
pattern-action file actions for GFS CONDUIT data to be changed.

re:
> Is this a good time to talk about the products we send to you?

Yes!

re:
> Are users interested in getting the higher resolution data?

From the smattering of inquiries that we have received about our
intention wrt 0.25 deg GFS, then the answer would be yes.  The real
answer, however, will come from responses to a survey that needs
to be sent to CONDUIT users.  In particular, will users be willing
for the 0.5 deg data currently being sent to be replaced by the
0.25 deg data?  The biggest part of this question is if they can
handle the higher resolution data...

re:
> It is on the list that I
> talk with Becky about products being added to CONDUIT, but we need to at
> least start talking about the GFS now since the upgrade is coming.

Definitely.  I think what is needed is:

- create a comprehensive list of what is being distributed in CONDUIT
  currently

  This list should have relevant information like typical volume and
  number of products, etc.

- create a list of what could be added to CONDUIT

  This list also needs to include the same sort of relevant information
  for existing products.

- put together a survey of the CONDUIT using community to see which
  new fields they would be most interested in

  The survey should also as pointedly which data would be OK to be
  removed from CONDUIT.

- an indication of the time frame for the addition/removal of products

So, how do we divvy up the work?

Ticket ID: RFO-442890
Department: Support CONDUIT