[Support #BGM-817689]: Huge CONDUIT latencies, lost data starting ~ 00 UTC last night

Hi Pete,

re:
> Sorry, been up and down with some kind of virus since Saturday. Today
> was mostly down, stayed at home with the snow, but then felt like crap
> and slept all day. If I follow the pattern of my wife and kids who've
> had it, it should be a fun 2 week run. Anyways..

Ugh!  I hate being sick!!  Here's hoping that you recover quickly.
Otherwise, use the time to catch-up on episodes of Downton Abbey ;-)

re:
> Yes, I noticed that my connectivity to ncepldm1 came back on Friday
> March 1, and latencies on the conduit feed have been good ever since.
> I'll keep an eye on it.

We have made the same observation.  We think that something was done
either on ncepldm1 itself (less likely) or the firewall through which
LDM connections to/from ncepldm1 are made (more likely).

re:
> As for the not using the runtime symbolic links, I always *used* to do
> it that way, ever since I was out in Boulder for an ldm/gempak tutorial
> back in the 1990's ('95 or '96 maybe?)

OK.

re:
> But one of the recent releases of the ldm that I built (could have been
> an ldm 6.10.x release) for some reason when I built it, the make install
> actually put it in the ~/bin, ~/lib, ~/etc which overwrote the
> runtime/bin versions from the previous version. I don't remember what
> version it was that did that but somehow I convinced myself that you
> (Unidata) had moved away from using the symbolic links.

Steve changed the LDM build to use automake.  He claims that automake
does not (easily) include directory structures in tar files it
can create.  Because of this, he changed the LDM installation instructions
to let folks know that they have to use 'pax' when unpacking the
distribution, or create the ldm-6.9.x+ directory structure
manually.  Here is the page that explains this:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Software -> LDM
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/

    installation guide

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/index.html#installation

      Installing from Source-Code

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/source-install-steps.html

re:
> Am I supposed to remove the runtime/bin, runtime/lib, etc links and
> create the new ones before running make install on the new version?

As per the steps detailed in the last URL above, the bin, etc. directories
would have been created under the ldm-6.10.1 directory.  At this point,
you will need to manually remove the directories so that the 'runtime'
link structure can be used.

re:
> don't recall having done that before - I always thought if I was in the
> ldm-6.11.3 directory (for example) and ran ./configure, make, make
> install, make install_setuids that it all got installed locally to
> ldm-6.11.3/bin, ldm-6.11.3/lib, etc..

The tricky parts introduced in LDM-6.9+ were:

- the need to do something other than simply unpack the distribution
  tar file (detailed in the last URL above)

- the introduction of the ~ldm/var directory structure

re:
> Once I get that squared away I'll change things back on idd.aos.wisc.edu
> to use the runtime symbolic links, shouldn't take too much time or be
> too disruptive.

I think you will need to:

- build the LDM version to be used following the instructions in the
  last URL listed above but not install it

- stop the LDM

- manually remove the directories that would be created as soft links
  in the 'runtime' structure

- install the new LDM version; this will create the 'runtime' structure

- start the newly built version of the LDM

Sorry for the hassle!

Ticket ID: BGM-817689
Department: Support CONDUIT