[Support #BGM-817689]: Huge CONDUIT latencies, lost data starting ~ 00 UTC last night

Hi Pete,

I'm finally catching up on much needed replies to emails from last
week.  Too many brush fires have happened between then and
now (sigh)!

re:
> What is the matter with you, taking a personal day off from work? :)

Yea, I have been taking Thursdays off to go skiing; I guess I am really
a slacker (although I do work each day on the weekends)!

I just blasted off a couple of emails to Becky Cosgrove in which I finally
responded to requests she had made at the end of last week.  The big
thing I reported back to Becky was that CONDUIT data seems to once-again
be flowing well from both ncepldm1.woc.noaa.gov and ncepldm4.woc.noaa.gov
to UW/AOS and Unidata.  A quick look through the LDM log files on
idd.aos.wisc.edu
shows that feed REQUESTs to ncepldm1 started being honored and data started
flowing at 10:10:42 CST (16:10:42 UTC) on March 1.  The latencies seen on
both idd.aos.wisc.edu and daffy.unidata.ucar.edu (the Unidata machine that
makes REQUESTs for CONDUIT redundantly from ncepldm1.woc.noaa.gov and
ncepldm4.woc.noaa.gov) are very low as is expected when things are working
well.  I think, therefore, that we can put the latest CONDUIT issue to
bed at least for the moment.

One other thing that I feel compelled to ask about:

I notice that the LDM installation on idd.aos.wisc.edu does not follow
the standard/traditional installation that we recommend.  What I mean
is that your installation does not use a 'runtime' link to point at
the current version of the LDM being used.  The entire 'runtime' link
concept was developed so that end-users could quickly switch from
an old to a new LDM version (or visa-versa) by simply:

- stopping the LDM
- changing the runtime link
- starting the LDM

These actions are typically done in a single invocation command line:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop && rm runtime && ln -s ldm-6.11.2 runtime && ldmadmin start

The building of a new LDM version can proceed without interfering with
a running LDM, and the switchover typically takes a small fraction
of a minute (literally seconds).

The question I have for you is why you chose to not use the standard/traditional
method for installation of the LDM on idd.aos.wisc.edu?

Ticket ID: BGM-817689
Department: Support CONDUIT