20120424: re: upcoming RUC2 -> RAP change in CONDUIT and NGRID

Hi Becky,

re:
>I was actually going to email you today on this very subject.

Great minds think alike :-)

re:
>We are
>still very much on track for May 1st to implement the RAP.  At this
>point, I think Critical Weather is the only thing that might stop us.

Excellent!

My plan has been to alert users one week in advance of the change and
again 1 day before the change.  If things stay on track, I will be sending
out a follow-up/second notice next Monday, April 30.

re:
>Now Tom's not going to be available on our side to implement the
>changes, so I know we need to put in new grib tables to CONDUIT.

OK.

re:
>Can you send us the information again as to the update?

I have put an updated version g2varsncep0.tbl (revised/hacked to include
an entry for the parameter that was not being processed by 'gribinsert'
since the information needed is in a local GRIB2 table we don't have
access to) out on anonymous FTP for you to grab:

machine:   ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user:      anonymous
pass:      address@hidden
directory: pub/gribinsert/RAP
file:      g2varsncep0.tbl

The procedure for updating toplevel CONDUIT injection machines at the
WOC is simple:

- as the user 'ldm' on the CONDUIT injection machines:

  - if it doesn't already exist, create a backup directory for
    GRIB/GRIB2 tables and save the current copy in the directory:

    <as 'ldm'>
    cd ~ldm/etc
    mkdir backup
    cp g2varsncep0.tbl backup/

- copy the new version of g2varsncep0.tbl to the ~ldm/etc directory

  See below for the steps that I would follow to do this update.

The new value will be used the next time that a slug of data is
processed into the LDM queue.

re:
>Also, would there
>be any impact to users if we put these tables in the day before the RAP
>went in?

Nope, none at all.

I suggest doing a 'diff' between the new version of g2varsncep0.tbl
and the one currently in use to make sure that there is only a simple
addition to the file and that there was no damage done when FTPing the
new version.  The procedure that I would follow is:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/gribinsert/RAP
  bin
  get g2varsncep0.tbl
  quit
diff g2varsncep0.tbl etc/g2varsncep0.tbl

The 'diff' output should look like:

256,258d255
< ! Hack for 'gribinsert' for CONDUIT field not properly tagged
< 000 019 242 000 RH with respect to PW            %                    RHPW
         0  -9999.00
< !

If it looks a lot more voluminous, then there is some problem... contact
me immediately please.

If the 'diff' output looks good, then backup the file currently in use
and copy in the new:

<still as 'ldm' in the ~ldm directory>
mkdir etc/backup
cp etc/g2varsncep0.tbl etc/backup/
mv g2varsncep0.tbl etc

re:
>Thanks.

No worries.

--
Unidata User Support                              UCAR Unidata Program <