Re: [conduit] CONDUIT changes for NAM 40KM grid 212 implemented

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 13:53 -0400, Arthur A. Person wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I'm wondering what will happen to the other grib1 stuff coming in on HDS
> and CONDUIT.  In particular, HDS seems to be mostly grib1 stuff... is that
> going to change to grib2?  Also, I believe there was a NAM awip3d grid 212
> on CONDUIT... was that dropped in today's change?  Also, I believe the
> following grib1 are also still coming in on CONDUIT:
>
>            GFS 96,80,94 on grids 2,3
>            NMM_89 89 grid 212
>            SSIGFS 81 grid 3
>
>          Thanks...
>
>            Art

Art,

The CONDUIT source of data is the NCEP ftp server, and its time
frame for removal of GRIB1 data is Jan 29, 2008 as all the admin
messages
on NOAAport state.

The NAM awip3d model number 84 (eg the WRF model) are being sent
as both GRIB1 and GRIB2 files for the next 2 weeks. On Oct 30, the GRIB1
version of the data will be dropped from CONDUIT.

The GRIB1 format GFS files on grids 2 (192-384 hours) and grid 3 (0-180
hours)
will go away, so we will have to transition those to GRIB2 on CONDUIT as
well.
We already have the 0.5 degree grid 4 (0-180 hours) in GRIB2 in CONDUIT,
but there are several university users that are really behind on
transitioning
to GRIB2 and rely on the grid 3 GFS data, so I scheduled the NAM
transition first.
We will set a date (hopefully early November) to add the GRIB2  format
data
for grids 2 and 3 (by replacing the current NAM sets with GRIB2, we have
been
clearing out some volume to make room for carrying that extra volume of
data
as duplicates for 2 weeks before removing the GRIB1 version. At some
point,
it may be beneficial to remove the grid 3 (1 degree) GFS altogether as
completely redundant with grid 4, but there is reluctance to that at the
current
time.

The NMM (model number 89) are the _icwf grids on 212 which will also
have to be replaced.

As for the HDS (NOAAport), the Jan 29 date does not apply to those
products,
ince these aren't the duplicate data sets on the FTP servers at NCEP
that
are being phased out:

EFFECTIVE JAN 29 2008...ALL NCEP DERIVED MODEL GRIB1
PRODUCTS WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE NCEP AND NWSTG PUBLIC
FTP AND HTTP SERVERS. GRIB1 DATA SENT ON THE SBN AND
NOAAPORT WILL NOT BE IMPACTED BY THIS MIGRATION.
THE GRIB1 PRODUCTS WILL BE REPLACED WITH EQUIVALENT
GRIB2 PRODUCTS. PLEASE SEE THE FOLLOWING TIN FOR
MORE DETAILS. USE LOWER CASE AND ONE LINE:
HTTP://WWW.NWS.NOAA.GOV/OM/NOTIFICATION/  (CONTINUED)
(CONTINUED)  TIN07-49FRIB1_TO_GRIB2_CONVERSION.TXT

The NWS will have to announce a transition of the SBN/NOAAPORT data
in the future, but no time frame exists as of yet.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support