[CONDUIT #WQK-217170]: IDD impacts of grib1 to grib2 migration

Robb,

You have the idea.
the NOAAPORT/SBN uplink is the source of the grids found
in the HRS and NGRID data streams. The newer data sets in NGRID
are in GRIB2 already. The older sets in HRS are not times for replacement
by this message.

The CONDUIT source is the NCEP ftp server (ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov),
so the transition to GRIB2 files on the servers will directly impact
those files. During the next 2 months, we will want to do a staged replacement
of
those files in CONDUIT that are being sent as GRIB1 to GRIB2. These
files are already on the ftp servers so sites will want to test out any
critical software. We don't want to carry both formats of data at the same time
due to bandwidth usage and don't want to wait until the last day either
so that if sites find they can't use GRIB2, they still can go get the GRIB1
files from the FTP servers for a period of time until they fix their problems.

I will make announcements to the conduit email list for times of changes to the
data stream.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

> Hi,
>
> The latest round of messages from the NWS/NCEP might get confusing to
> IDD/LDM users.  Maybe you would know the definitive impacts?
>
> EFFECTIVE JAN 29 2008...ALL NCEP DERIVED MODEL GRIB1
> PRODUCTS WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE NCEP AND NWSTG PUBLIC
> FTP AND HTTP SERVERS. GRIB1 DATA SENT ON THE SBN AND
> NOAAPORT WILL NOT BE IMPACTED BY THIS MIGRATION.
> THE GRIB1 PRODUCTS WILL BE REPLACED WITH EQUIVALENT
> GRIB2 PRODUCTS. PLEASE SEE THE FOLLOWING TIN FOR
> MORE DETAILS. USE LOWER CASE AND ONE LINE:
> HTTP://WWW.NWS.NOAA.GOV/OM/NOTIFICATION/  (CONTINUED)
> (CONTINUED)  TIN07-49FRIB1_TO_GRIB2_CONVERSION.TXT
>
> If I follow messages correctly, CONDUIT users are fed from items put to
> an FTP site.  The above message says conversion will stop which means
> transmission of GRIB1 will stop on the CONDUIT feed?
>
> However, GRIB1 will still be sent via the SBN/NOAAPORT which means it
> could be found on the NGRIB feed until a termination date is set?
>
> So, in our world there are three sources that sort of overlap:
>
> * FTP
> * IDD/LDM
> * NOAAPORT/SBN
>
> I want to make sure I have my story straight on this so data users are
> properly notified of upcoming surprises when data disappears.
>
> Thanks!
> Rob

Ticket ID: WQK-217170
Department: Support CONDUIT