[CONDUIT #NQZ-836725]: NOMADS Ingest

Glenn,

Looking at your grid, at present, CONDUIT carries
GFS 1 deg, GFS 0.5 deg, RUC20km.

The ensemble data on CONDUIT is now the GRIB2 pgrb2a that NCEP will be
providing to tigge,
rather than the grib1 pgrba/b you have.

At this point, NCEP isn't placing the 13km RUC grid (grid #130) yet though it
is on our list.

The RTMA is on NOAAPORT currently, as are a subset of the NAM 12km grids. We
would
like to add the full 12km grids to CONDUIT inplace of the 20km grids currently
sent.

In the future, we want to look at other data sets such as SREF and CFS for
CONDUIT
after completing the transition of TOC file names to the NCEP file names. As
you mention,
we would like to provide flaxibility in data sets, so some items such as
delivering
the GFS in both the 1 degree and 0.5 degree for the same forecast hours and
parameters
is using bandwidth that could be used otherwise. At the present time, we will
keep both to give users the GRIB1 option until they have fully transitioned to
GRIB2.

The primary point of your problem is that the LDM delivery is geared toward
keeping
up to date- and if you fall behind due to network latency (or system
performance),
you would drop data in order to catch up. That behavior works well with
maintaining
realtime delivery, but does not match all the needs of a data archive center as
well
since if you missed data, you would need an alternate mechanism for retireving
the data.

The CONDUIT data is placed in the queue with a file inventory of the contents,
so you would
be able to determine if you missed data and then you could use the oher system
retrieve data should it be available, so it is possible to use CONDUIT to
lessen the
bottleneck, but given your mission to archive the data, the conflict with
LDM design means that you would still want another data route- but possibly
that doesn't have
to be the operational route. As an aside,information about what is on CONDUIT
can be found here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/conduit/ldm_idd/

As always, we are willing to look at how CONDUIT fits into the larger puzzle,
including
NOMADS...

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support