[AWIPS #AKV-251431]: plotting roads using metpy or python-awips

Hi there,

> Yes, that does make sense, but I feel my issue is slightly different. I
> posted my image here:
> http://www.met.sjsu.edu/weather/test/state-routes.png
> The roads turn into dashed lines at times, rather than ending. This could
> also be a matplotlib
> thing as opposed to the quality of the underlying routes shapefile.
> (For reference, the CIC in the lower left quadrant is Chico Airport, CA)
>
> I may be better off downloading a shapefile and trying to plot directly, but
> I'm certainly open
> to any suggestions.
> (I realize this is likely a bit outside the scope of awips)

Thank you for posting that image so I could see it.
I still think what you're seeing is what I'm anticipating.  For some reason, it
seems like the state
routes are broken into several different references (and shapes) in our
database.  Even that highway
32 that we see running to the North-Northeast just east of CIC, I can find two
references for "Deer
Creek Hwy" and then mannnny references for "SR 32" in our database.

Have you tried loading all the shapes that come back from the mapdata.highways
database (by not adding
any filter for the "hwy_type")?

Does that bring back too many roads, I assume?

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
NSF Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: AKV-251431
Department: Support AWIPS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.