[AWIPS #EKR-944861]: AWIPS Display Issue Under RHEL 7.9 Server

Hello,

I suspect this is something due to the server vs desktop ISO that was used.
Were you having trouble running CAVE natively on your laptop/machine or what
made you go down this route?

We have a virtual machine already built with CentOS7 and CAVE installed on our
website. Have you tried downloading and running that? You will need VMWare
Player, but that's free to install. Our VM download instructions are here:
https://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/#download-and-installation-instructions_2.

We also have native Windows, Mac, and Linux (Centos7/RHEL7) installers.

> Hi,
>
> I finally bit the bullet and picked up a developer subscription for RHEL
> and after some doing, I got CAVE to install in a VirtualBox machine running
> on a Fedora 39 host. However, when I try to load up CAVE, everything loads
> except a map screen. The AlertViz dialog pops up saying "an internal error
> occurred during loading: bundle error". When I try to force a map to open
> by using the radar menu to display a product, I get an unhandled event loop
> exception.
>
> [image: image.png]
>
> Is there something I missed during install? I could only get the server
> version of RHEL7.9, which I suspect has something to do with this. The
> steps I took to install are listed below.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Steps to install:
>
> 1. Install RHEL7.9 Server from binary ISO into a VBox VM.
> 2. Used subscription manager to attach subscription to VM install
> 3. Installed kernel-headers, kernel-devel, gcc, perl, make from terminal
> 4. Installed vbox guest additions
> 5. Used nano to write awips2.repo since the installer file couldn't
> import it
> 6. Disabled rhel-7-server-e4s-optional-rpms and
> rhel-7-server-eus-optional-rpms repos using subscription manager as these
> were throwing errors when I would try to install
> 7. Ran commands listed on install manual
> 8. Fired up CAVE, localized to IND, validated Unidata EDEX server
>
> VM specs
>
> 1. 10gb virtual hard disk
> 2. 10gb RAM to avoid 6044MB RAM warning
> 3. 2 processors out of 16 available on host machine
> 4. VBox guest additions installed

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
NSF Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: EKR-944861
Department: Support AWIPS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.