[AWIPS #DMC-931151]: awips2 cave lab installation

Hi there,

> I have a few academic computer labs I manage and historically we have used
> the Redhat/CentOS version in
> the labs. Given CentOS 7 is nearing end of life we were looking into the new
> Direct Windows Installation.
> I noticed the "For those running CAVE in a lab or needing it installed at the
> system level for multiple
> users, please contact address@hidden"

We are also very aware of the impending EOL of CenOS7 and hope to release a
RHEL8 version of AWIPS before
the deadline (next summer). But I'm glad you're thinking of an alternative that
can work as well with the
direct Windows installation option!

> The users will not have admin on those machines and will have multiple
> different users logging into them.
> Is this something that would work?

We have a system-wide installer available for use cases like yours, where an
administrator (or someone with
admin privileges) will install CAVE once and then it will be available for all
users on that machine.  This
way the individual users don't have to install CAVE over and over again on the
same machine.  Does that make
sense?
If you're interested in this, let me know and I can give you the download link.

> Also, if this manages to go through the web page says address@hidden but it
> looks like
> it's actually address@hidden.

Thank you very much for pointing this out!  I just updated our website to
correct the mistake! My apologies!

> Thanks for any help for can give on this.

Of course!
--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
NSF Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: DMC-931151
Department: Support AWIPS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.