[AWIPS #IFV-617744]: Issues with running ifpnetCDF

Hello,

What version of AWIPS are you using? Is it from Unidata, NWS, or somewhere else?

In our version of AWIPS we don't have this functionality enabled, so
unfortunately it won't work.

> Greetings,
>
> I am hoping someone can help me. I have been attempting to utilize the
> ifpnetCDF program within /awips2/GFESuite/bin to create netcdf files from a
> GFE database. I know this program works in the AWIPS version utilized by
> the NWS, but I have been unable to get it to work in the version installed
> from unidata.
>
> An example script call is included below. I think I have the correct port
> number below, but please advise if I am mistaken.
>
> /awips2/GFESuite/bin/ifpnetCDF -o /home/bryan/test_maxt.nc -h localhost -r
> 9581 -d GRR_GRID_Prac_Fcst_00000000_0000 -p MaxT -g -s 20230525_0600 -e
> 20230526_0600
>
> The program starts, but nothing really happens and closes without creating
> an output file. I am used to the standard log lines created by ifpnetCDF
> and I get none of these when running this within this version of AWIPS. Is
> there something I am not considering, or not understanding about the call
> to ifpnetCDF that is causing the program to not complete? Any assistance
> would be greatly appreciated in utilizing this program from a non-NWS
> AWIPS.
>
> Adding to my additional question. I added some print lines to the
> ifpnetCDF.py routine in /awips2/GFESuite/bin/src/ifpnetcdf/ in order to
> have a better idea what was happening.
>
> The *netCdfRequest* that is passed in the line: *serverResponse =
> thriftClient.sendRequest(netCdfRequest) , *which I believe is what actual
> submits the ifpnetcdf job to the edex server, is below:
>
> For a Prac_Fcst Database Grid from a WRO GRR GFE domain on May 25, 2023:
>
> ExecuteIfpNetCDFGridRequest[workstationID:
> 16777343:bryan:ifpnetCDF:7837:140029184988992, siteID: GRR, outputFilename:
> ifpnetCDFFile.cdf, parmList: ['MaxT_SFC'], databaseID:
> GRR_GRID__RAP13_20230526_1200, startTime: 20230526_0600, endTime:
> 20230527_0600, mask: , geoInfo: True, compressFile: False, configFileName:
> None, compressFileFactor: 6, trim: False, krunch: False, userID: bryan,
> logFileName: None, siteIdOverride: None]
>
> For a RAP13 IFP Database Grid from a WFO GRR GFE domain on May 26, 2023
>
> ExecuteIfpNetCDFGridRequest[workstationID:
> 16777343:bryan:ifpnetCDF:8054:139737818572608, siteID: GRR, outputFilename:
> hello.nc, parmList: ['MaxT_SFC'], databaseID:
> GRR_GRID__RAP13_20230526_1200, startTime: 20230526_0600, endTime:
> 20230527_0600, mask: , geoInfo: True, compressFile: False, configFileName:
> None, compressFileFactor: 6, trim: False, krunch: False, userID: bryan,
> logFileName: None, siteIdOverride: None]
>
> The values all look good to me, but perhaps I am missing something.
>
> When the program is run, I receive the following output:
>
> 09:41:06 ifpnetCDF INFO:  Attempt number: 1
> 09:41:07 ifpnetCDF ERROR:  Unhandled exception thrown during ifpnetCDF
> processing:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/awips2/GFESuite/bin/src/ifpnetcdf/ifpnetCDF.py", line 156, in main
> [...]

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: IFV-617744
Department: Support AWIPS