[AWIPS #IWO-487462]: Share Files Between Machine and VM

> Shay,
>
> Regarding the three options, which are you using: 1) 2) or 3) ?

I have all three options currently working...

As for option 3 - this should be very straight forward and not require much. I
followed these steps here:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/17/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-D6D9A5FD-7F5F-4C95-AFAB-EDE9335F5562.html

What version of VMWare are you running and are you running it on Windows or
Linux? You may need to update your version of VMWare. If you still can't figure
that out, then reach out to VMWare as that is not our software.

> Have used option 2) with Dropbox in the past with a KVM machine (also
> could not get their sharing to work easily). Option 1) looks to be the
> easiest.
>
> I was concentrating on getting Vmware's file sharing to work, option 3).
> More investigation from Vmware's docs and others seems to indicate that
> there are complications installing the guest tools with the older Centos
> 7 kernel 3.10.  The error message received has to do with a missing
> vmhgfs driver. Installing the older Vmware tools should fix that and
> enable shared folder support.  Problem is, I haven't found where to
> download the older Vmware guest tools (it comes in an *rpm format and as
> a tar file) no longer used in "modern" Linux systems.
>
> If you can figure this out it would be appreciated. Here are some
> reference URLs from Vmware:
>
> 9to5answer.com/no-vmhgfs-fuse-command-in-centos-7
>
> partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/CentOS_7.html#Tools
>
> kb.vmware.com/s/article/1018392
>
> docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Tools/12.2.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vmwaretools.doc/GUID-08BB9465-D40A-4E16-9E15-8C016CC8166F.html
>
> customerconnect.vmware.com/en/downloads/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1126&productId=1073
>
> Still looking to solve this...

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: IWO-487462
Department: Support AWIPS