[AWIPS #RWH-295485]: CAVE Crashing

> As requested, attached are the two scripts that were involved in that bug
> report.  I am not really convinced
> they are the cause as this seems to happen randomly (it occurs or not at all)
> with all display scripts I have
> on my system.
>
> I would agree the crashes always happen after File > Export Image > Export
> All.  I do export images
> extensively as part of my workflow, as I like having case studies to refer
> back to.  I do confirm that the
> crashes have never happened before an image export takes place.
>
> On the other hand, I did try an experiment doing my normal workflow without
> any Export Image operations
> at all, and I did get pretty far along but then I did encounter the same type
> of crash.  I will attach the script
> I tried to load when this happened, though it may not be relevant
> (GFS-Prog-BOOK-NorthAmerica-H700-HGT-TEMP.xml).
>
> To answer your question, there are about 30 to 50 frames in a loop loaded
> when I try to export model images
> (almost entirely 1p0 GFS / GFS20 / NAM40 data), and I do export all frames as
> PNGs, but with no animation.
>
> I do wonder if it is a VMWare 16 or a RAM problem.  I have 32 GB on my
> machine and I am giving it 8 GB
> and 4 processors in the VMWare app though  I don't know if that's enough.
> System is AMD FX-8300 3.3 GHz
> 4 core with Windows 10.

Hello,

I have definitely seen crashes occur when exporting images with a lot of
frames. Allocating more RAM to your VM should work. I was able to load all your
displays and export all frames without any crashes (I did get a couple "AWIPS
CAVE is not responding" pop-ups, but just clicked "wait"). I've got the VM set
at 16GB memory, 4 processors.

You can also try installing the direct Windows install - I was able to load all
three of your displays and export all images/frames without any crashes here as
well. We recently put out a new 18.2.1 Windows installer that includes python
and java so you don't have to mess with installing any other software.

http://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/#method-1-direct-windows-install

Make sure that the images have fully exported before trying to load anything
else. You should see in the bottom right the % that's been exported.

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: RWH-295485
Department: Support AWIPS