[AWIPS #RWH-295485]: CAVE Crashing

Hi there,

Thanks for your email. I have re-routed it into our support system to ensure
all members of the AWIPS
team can see the correspondence.

> I have been using AWIPS-CAVE regularly and have been starting to visit the
> AWIPS Tips blog regularly.
>
> I realize that UCAR doesn't really want to be a general help desk but I
> thought I'd ask about some
> issues in case there are easy suggestions.

Just a quick note, if/when you have any issues with AWIPS, please feel free to
email us at
address@hidden.  That's what the support email is here for!

> I am running 18.2.1-6 under on VMWare on Windows (haven't upgraded as I am
> trying to avoid breaking
> the configuration setup and all the scripts).  I have not done any
> modifications aside from a few
> localization edits.
>
> 1) I'm having problems with AWIPS crashing about 20% of the time with File >
> Load Display.  This
> happens with all types of display files without any specific pattern, except
> that the first 1 to 5
> times during an AWIPS session (when the program is first started) there is
> never a crash.  The crash
> is unpredictable, but when it comes (after Load Display), the software clear
> the window, shows
> hangs like this I know a
> crash is imminent), then it silently crashes and goes to the desktop without
> any errors.  It seems
> like a memory leak of some kind. I realize you all don't want to look through
> a lot of log files or
> scripts, so I figured I'd see if there are any tips or tricks that might help
> resolve this.  If not
> I'll try to live with it.

Are there any files in this directory:
/home/awips/caveData/logs/consoleLogs/localhost

If so, could you start by sending us one that might correspond (date) with a
recent crash you had, that
ends with "_logs.log" and the same date that ends with "_console.log"?

> 2) I do need a way to turn off the massive log files, /home/awips/core.NNNNN
> that generate every time
> there's a crash.  They consume 1-2 GB each time this happens and my VM box
> frequently runs out of space
> (I have 50 GB allocated).  Is there any way to do this?

I'm not aware of anyway to do this, but if we know why it's crashing, maybe we
can figure out how/where
this log is getting created in the code and come up with an answer.

Hopefully we can find out more with the logs.
Thanks!

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform