  From: "Bill Hibbard"
  To: "Stuart Maclean" , visad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: Re: [visad] memory leak in visad
  Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:08:06 -0500

  Hi Stuart,

  The uniqueness of DisplayRealType names and ScalarType
  names is because these classes are often accessed by name,
  and multiple instances with the same name may have different
  properties. This could cause trouble for applications.

  I wrote the DisplayRealTypeVector logic, I think before Java
  included WeakMapValue. I also think Steve Emmerson
  probably fixed the logic in ScalarType to use WeakMapValue.
  Neither Steve nor I currently work on VisAD, but if Steve is
  subscribed to this list and wants to make this change that would
  be great. Or if anyone else wants to do it and knows what they're
  doing, that would be great too. Perhaps in cooperation with
  Stuart.

  One point is that every DisplayRealType is also a ScalarType
  and hence the uniqueness enforcement in ScalarType should
  serve for DisplayRealType. Why didn't I realize that 12 years
  ago when I was writing this code? Or is there some mysterious
  reason to have this seemingly redundant uniqueness test?

  Another point is that DisplayRealType instances don't require
  much memory, so is this a serious memory leak?