Re: visad-list-digest V1 #146

Hi Frank:

In your note to the list you said:

> (and I'll admit that JyVisAD goes some way towards doing this
- Tom Whitaker's graph/subs modules do hide a lot of the complexity - but it seems like an afterthought, rather than an integral, serious part of VisAD development)

Because the Jython developers made it so easy to connect with VisAD objects, this was added as an afterthought in the 'core' VisAD development. I saw it as the way to meet the need to get scientists (users of IDL and Matlab) to use VisAD. What I'm doing with the graph/subs modules is trying to provide interfaces to the richness of VisAD without the necessity of script writers (like our scientists here) having to know Java or necessarily VisAD. To that end, I'm always open to suggestions for changes, additions, etc.

You also mentioned:
want using the Jython graph/subs modules, but it's so slow (taking 10 seconds to pop up visualization windows), that it's hardly usable.

Are there things in there that might be a candidate to add to JPythonMethods? I've run across some iterative tasks that when done in Jython were way too slow, so I recast them in Java.

The Jython interface will only evolve as the people using it push it. Right now there are a handful of users outside Madison, and the rest are the scientists here. Fortunately, Unidata has chosen this as the scripting language in their IDV work, so I may get more ideas for useful classes and methods from there as well. Obviously I have to take care of the funded projects first, so that will impact what gets done/when...

Also:

At least with the standard Perl/Python libraries, I know I can write the routines to draw what I need to, in a day. And I think that's just too bad, because I can see the power of VisAD - I just don't have the time to invest in getting to it.

Like I (and others) have mentioned, it is sometimes practical to interface VisAD Data objects to other graphics libraries...but I'm curious to know what basic functions are missing or awkward to use...aside from the comments on aesthetics...? I put things like drawLine and drawString in there to get started, and would be very happy to add more interfaces and/or options to existing ones.

As always, thanks for your comments.  Have a great Thanksgiving!

tom

--
Tom Whittaker (tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
University of Wisconsin-Madison