Controlling or sampling display parameters in VisAD/Python

I want to control (or sample) the display settings so that I can produce
animations in VisAD/Python. I see some potential methods to do it, but I
don't have enough info to use them. <br><br>
If I want to control the display, for example Zoom, Viewing Angle,
Setting for Isosurface Value, etc, I assume I should use something
related to the subs.makeMaps method that allows changes to mappings in
&quot;real-time&quot; rather than only at the display setup time. The
control of those mappings is through &quot;names&quot; that do not seem
to be fully documented in the version of the <tt>VisAD Python Function
Quick Reference that I have
(<a href="http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~tomw/visadtutor/cheatsheet.txt";
eudora="autourl">http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~tomw/visadtutor/cheatsheet.txt</a>).
I am not sure is makeMaps will function as a real-time
operation.<br><br>
I could also sample display parameters as above while the user
manipulates the display and then create an animation from that. There is
a method subs.getDisplay that appears to capture some information about
the current status of the display, but the getDisplay attribute is not
recognized by my version of VisAD/Python. I am also not sure how much
information it sends back and whether it is what I want, since I have not
been able to try it.<br><br>
Are there other methods to control or sample the display parameters so
that I can generate an animation of a fully controlled display? So far, I
can control and animate actions within the display, such as positioning
of slices through a data set using a slider function.<br><br>
Thanks<br>
MJR</html>