DisplayImplJ3D input ignored

About 90% of the time, when I start-up my VISAD application, any mouse
or key clicks in the DisplayImplJ3D viewport window are ignored until I
click on any other part of the window (window frame, any Swing
component, etc).  However, on occasion if I move the pointer to the
DisplayImplJ3D viewport and click on button 1, the 3-D histogram goes
ahead and rotates the way I would expect.

Has anyone seen this behavior before and if so how can I fix it so
the viewport reacts to mouse and key clicks immediately on start-up.

The VISAD code I am using is based on the code available from
http://www.wizards.dupont.com/Equinox/Equinox.html.

P.S. I'm running under Solaris 8, fully patched, and java 1.4.0-beta3.