Re: RH Linux 7.x and VisAD/Java3D

  • To: "Kevin L. Manross" <kmanross@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: RH Linux 7.x and VisAD/Java3D
  • From: Doug Lindholm <lind@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:18:00 -0700
Been there, done that. I have a NVIDIA TNT2 card on my RedHat 7.2 box at
home. I'm using the latest Java3D (1.3beta1) from Blackdown. I don't
recall exactly what I did but I think it only involved installing the
latest XFree86 4.x and the latest nvidia driver. It works now with
accelerated 3D. Let me know if you continue to have problems and I'll
look into the details.

Good Luck,
Doug

"Kevin L. Manross" wrote:

> Is anyone out there succesfully running VisAD and/or Java3D on RedHat
> Linux 7.x?  (ie. without your X server crashing upon exiting a java3D
> app - including VisAD)  If you are, could you please let me know:
>
> 1)  What version of XFree86 you are running
> 2)  What type of video card you have
> 3)  Whether you are running the Java3d for Linux from Blackdown.org or not
> 4)  Anything you know about the Mesa patch you may be using
>
> If you could let me know as many of these as possible (offline) i would
> greatly appreciate it!  Chris Burghart has done so by building his own
> XFree86, but i'm not that whippy.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> -kevin.

| Doug Lindholm, Software Engineer          |  E-mail: lind@xxxxxxxx   |
| Research Applications Program             |   Phone: 303-497-8374    |
| National Center for Atmospheric Research  |                          |
| P.O. Box 3000                             |     There's no place     |
| Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000              |        like $HOME        |