moving average

Hello, All

Recently some one told me that Moving average is another good way for
interpolation. But I have no idea about it. Does VisAD suppor it?

For example, for an area of 10 by 10 m, I have some irregular points (with x, y, and z).
Now I want to draw the surface using a grid with cell size of 1 m. First I have to interpolate
these grid points to get the z values (this can be easily done using WEIGHTED_AVERAGE
and NEAREST_NEIGHBOR methods in VisAD), then draw those grid points. Now I want to try the so called "Moving average" approach. The purpose is to get a smooth surface so that it is very close to the real topography visually.

Any help will be highly apprecaited.

Gaoming Fu