Re: moving average

The best definition I know of "moving average" is:

In Meteorology, the "one pass Cressman" (which applies a distance-based,
non-linear weight to all observation points within a "circle of
influence") demonstrates this -- it is essentially an inverse
distance-weighted average of all the data points where the weight is > 0.
A more sophisticated extension was introduce by Barnes, and involves
multiple passes through the data (see Barnes 1994 article in Journal of
Atmos and Oceanic Technology).

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, gaoming fu wrote:

> Hello, All
> Recently some one told me that Moving average is another good way for
> interpolation. But I have no idea about it. Does VisAD suppor it?
> For example, for an area of 10 by 10 m, I have some irregular points (with x,
> y,
> and z).
> Now I want to draw the surface using a grid with cell size of 1 m. First I
> have to
> interpolate
> these grid points to get the z values (this can be easily done using
> and NEAREST_NEIGHBOR methods in VisAD), then draw those grid points. Now I
> want to
> try the so called "Moving average" approach. The purpose is to get a smooth
> surface so that it is very close to the real topography visually.
> Any help will be highly apprecaited.
> Gaoming Fu
> Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: Click Here

Tom Whittaker
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Space Science and Eng. Center
ph:  608.262.2759