Re: moving average

The best definition I know of "moving average" is:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MovingAverage.html

In Meteorology, the "one pass Cressman" (which applies a distance-based,
non-linear weight to all observation points within a "circle of
influence") demonstrates this -- it is essentially an inverse
distance-weighted average of all the data points where the weight is > 0.
A more sophisticated extension was introduce by Barnes, and involves
multiple passes through the data (see Barnes 1994 article in Journal of
Atmos and Oceanic Technology).

tom

--
Tom Whittaker