Re: range of values taken on by a scalar

Hi John,

> So there's no way to do this with just the Scalar itself, you need to
> have it's associated ScalarMap?  (The javadocs for the DataShadow Object
> returned by computeRanges() don't tell me much...)
>
> What I'm looking to do here is to be able to display the range of values
> of all Data in a Cell to the user, regardless of what values are being
> displayed, or how.

This has been bothering me for a while, too.  So I added
a new method signature to visad.DataImpl:

  public double[][] computeRanges(RealType[] reals)
         throws VisADException, RemoteException;

where the returned array is double[reals.length][2],
giving the min and max value for each RealType in the
reals array.  Note min and max may be Double.NaN.  The
DataImpl.main() method shows how to use this.