Re: range of values taken on by a scalar

Bill Hibbard wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> > how do you find the range of values taken on by an arbitrary Scalar?  It
> > seems that ScalarMap needs to do this, but I can't find exactly how...
>
> Its done a by a call to Data.computeRanges() from
> DataRenderer.prepareAction().  As long as you don't call
> ScalarMap.setRange(), you can access the range by a call
> to ScalarMap.getRange(), after data have been transformed
> for display.  You can use a DisplayListener to wait for a
> DisplayEvent.TRANSFORM_DONE.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill
> Bill Hibbard, SSEC, 1225 W. Dayton St., Madison, WI  53706
> hibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/vis.html

So there's no way to do this with just the Scalar itself, you need to
have it's associated ScalarMap?  (The javadocs for the DataShadow Object
returned by computeRanges() don't tell me much...)

What I'm looking to do here is to be able to display the range of values
of all Data in a Cell to the user, regardless of what values are being
displayed, or how.

john