Re: [thredds] Remote OPENDAP dataset through WMS

Hi Harbil,

Jon is right. The URL he gives below will function as a WMS endpoint for
the NOAA/ESRL/PSD OPeNDAP URL given in the "dataset" parameter. The
downside is that, with <WMS><allowRemote> set to true, this form of WMS
URL can be used by any user to serve any remote dataset over WMS. Which
is why WMS/allowRemote is set to false by default.

If you want similar functionality for this dataset without opening your
server up to serve any remote dataset by WMS, you can add the remote
dataset to your catalog and control the advertised services. Something like:

> <dataset name="My DBSS OBIL 1984" ID="myDbssObil1984"
> urlPath="myDbssObil1984">
>   <metadata inherited="true">
>       <serviceName>all</serviceName>
>       <dataType>Grid</dataType>
>   </metadata>
>
>   <netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2";
>
> location="http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/thredds/dodsC/Datasets/godas/dbss_obil.1984.nc";
>  />
> </dataset>

The WMS endpoint would then be

http://localhost:8080/thredds/wms/myDbssObil1984

Hope that helps,

Ethan

--
Ethan Davis                                       UCAR Unidata Program
edavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu