Re: [netcdfgroup] abi version for netcdf-4.1.2

On 04/05/2011 06:36 AM, Ed Hartnett wrote:
marco atzeri<marco.atzeri@xxxxxxxxx>  writes:

Dear Developers,
I just built netcdf-4.1.2 on cygwin, without fortran and c++ as they
are broken compared
to the previous 4.1.1, and I was surprised to see that
the outcome dll is now cygnetcdf-7.dll instead of cygnetcdf-6.dll of 4.1.1

Have you made a abi bump between 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 ? If so should be
better to change
the release number ? Between 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 I would expect minor
changes and bug fixes only.

Howdy Marco,

The library ABI number went up because we changed the main API (by
adding the nc_inq_path function.)

We did not change the library version number to 4.3 because this was
such a minor addition.

In general, the ABI version has nothing to do with the version number of
the package.

Thanks,

Ed

My thoughts:

- According to http://linuxtesting.org/upstream-tracker/versions/netcdf.html, the main ABI problems with going from 4.1.1 -> 4.1.2 was:

ncEnumType.h
namespace netCDF
[−] NcEnumType::ncEnumType (5)
        Change  Effect
1 Value of field nc_INT64 has been changed from 8 to 10. Applications may execute another branch of library code. 2 Value of field nc_UBYTE has been changed from 5 to 7. Applications may execute another branch of library code. 3 Value of field nc_UINT has been changed from 7 to 9. Applications may execute another branch of library code. 4 Value of field nc_UINT64 has been changed from 9 to 11. Applications may execute another branch of library code. 5 Value of field nc_USHORT has been changed from 6 to 8. Applications may execute another branch of library code.
[+] affected symbols (1)
NcGroup::addEnumType ( std::string const& name, NcEnumType::ncEnumType basetype ) const:
2nd parameter 'basetype' has type 'NcEnumType::ncEnumType'.

Kind of scary when constants change values.

- Adding a new function does not require bumping the soname version because that is still backwards compatible.

- Distribution and system maintainers must pay special attention to ABI compatibility. A significant version bump is a good indicator that this may happen and to look out for it. Conversely, "patch" level version changes are not expected to have ABI changes.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx