Re: [netcdfgroup] Where can I find a NetCDF Editor?

When I need to do spot editing on a Netcdf file, I like to first
convert it to plain text with ncdump, then do what I need with
a text editor, then use ncgen to convert back to Netcdf.

This is is a really simple solution to what you are requesting,
because it does not require the development of a sophisticated
software tool.  Also, in a sense it is very powerful because you
can do several functions that may be difficult with other tools,
such as changing a variable type or name, or switching the
unlimited characteristic of a dimension.

Of course there are many Windows GUI text editors that you can
use, starting with Wordpad.  I am unfamiliar with how to run
ncdump and ncgen on Windows, but I don't think it should be
hard to do.

If you are trying to perform numerical transforms on data arrays,
that is a more complex problem.  I like NCL for that purpose, but
there are several other tools and languages for that.

If this does not seem like a satisfactory answer, then perhaps
you could reply to the list with a description of the types of file
modifications that you want to do.

Dave Allured
CU/CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC)
NOAA/ESRL/PSD, Climate Analysis Branch (CAB)