Re: [netcdfgroup] error: Attempt to convert between text & numbers

Helio,

This is probably a CDO problem, but unfortunately there does not seem to be a CDO users' list at this time. You might want to ask the CDO authors at MPI about that.

  http://www.mpimet.mpg.de/cdo

My guess is that CDO has made an assumption about the data type of a named attribute that is not true for your landsea*.nc files. If there are more error messages than the single line that you showed, then they may be the easiest way to diagnose the exact problem.

If not, then you might try ncdump -h landsea.nc, then look carefully for a character attribute that CDO might expect to be a numeric attribute. Unfortunately this involves some educated guessing about what a Netcdf file should look like. The documentation for the conventions indicated in the "Conventions" file attribute might help.

If you find a likely suspect, you can change the character attribute to type double. This is a hacker's approach, but that is what I sometimes do when confronted by mysterious errors from mysterious software.

If you wish, you could post a sample ncdump -h here, and see if anyone else might have an idea. HTH.

Dave Allured
CU/CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC)
http://cires.colorado.edu/science/centers/cdc/
NOAA/ESRL/PSD, Climate Analysis Branch (CAB)
http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/

Helio Camargo wrote:
Hello,

Maybe it's an easy question but as I'm sort of new in the use of those netcdf operators, here it goes:

I have a netcdf file which I can work without any problems with ncdump, ncks, ncview, etc...but when I try to use cdo, cdo gtc, 0.5 landsea.nc <http://landsea.nc> landsea01.nc <http://landsea01.nc>, for instance, the returned message is:

"Error (cdf_get_att_double) : Attempt to convert between text & numbers"

Any idea of what's going on? Any kind of hint or suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Helio