Re: overcoming netcdf3 limits

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 02:30:39PM -0600, Ed Hartnett wrote:
> However, another question: have you considered using netCDF-4? It does
> not have the limits of the 64-bit offset format, and support parallel
> I/O, as well as a number of other features (groups, compound data
> types) which might be helpful in organizing really large data sets.

Hi Ed

The CDF-1 and CDF-2 file formats appear to be quite robust in the face
of client failures.  Greg S at least has observed file corruption with
the HDF5 file format during parallel I/O if a client dies at a
particular time.   As I understand it, it's hard to devise a solution
for the HDF5 file format that is both rock-solid robust *and* delivers
high-performance.

In parallel-netcdf land we also like the CDF-1 and CDF-2 file formats:
they are easy to work with from an MPI-IO perspective.    Also, by
writing out all the metadata in define mode, there is very little
chance of file corruption for any failure in data mode.

Thanks
==rob

--
Rob Latham