Re: The end of IDD?!!

At Rutgers, I have heard others here make a simple threat to buy their own T1/T3 line and fight hard to get back their overhead and these grumblings have gone away. With our campus rewiring project going full tilt, our new LDM server will have a direct gigabit connection to the core. Thanks to Sun for its recent buy 1 get 1 free sale and we can afford to do these things.

My concern is what small schools that we feed downstream do. Right now, IDD is second only to network news at Rutgers. Telecommunications here at RU understands our IDD needs, but this traffic must completely inundate smaller schools. And I am assuming that these schools don't have $30K to toss toward their own NOAAport system.

At what point will IDD grow data-wise where it will only be affordable to departments with big budgets and the leverage to argue against any usage cost system?

Tom