Re: The end of IDD?!!

I have not actually seen it in print, but I think campus
telecom administrators here at Florida State University are
planning to (someday) charge so much per network outlet also.
One can see this trend by observing their daily activities,
and it appears that even the lowest level telecom/backbone
folk have been to some kind of a "cadre school" that prepares
them about dealing with us (future) victims.

It would be kind of like the campus telephone service is now,
a monthly "cash cow" for one sector (telecom) of the administration.

But as some of us see it, our department brings money to the
university by way of research grants, etc. and with a big
chunck of that money (off the top) going to the university to
pay for "infrastructure" expenses. So some of us think that this
means we have already payed for network connectivity to the
department.

Thus charging us per network outlet would be the second time we
will be paying for this service.

Am I crazy, or are there other MET departments that see it this
way also ... that charging per network outlet is unjust to those
departments that bring significant external funding to the
university?

Yours, Bob Broedel FSU MET

  • Search the ldm-users archives: