Re: [galeon] The GALEON wiki and Use Cases

Having the use cases is great, thanks Ben.

In personal conversations and requirements development meetings, and in the published literature, some scientists have emphasized the importance of being able to have the *exact* (their words) data that was produced by the original sensor/device/system. (I would expect climate scientists to be very much in this camp, given the inspection that IPCC reports, conclusions, and data receive.)

The use below of "the original files" is suggestive, in that it most sensors don't produce files, they produce streams -- so a file often represents a modification of the original data set already. And I totally agree that 99% of the uses of the data -- probably more than that -- want the transmogrified data in this modified form -- whatever form they can easily use. So that is clearly the dominant usage.

But there is a strong minority that insists on an auditable record of the data as it was originally produced, just in case the reformatting has done something, or may have done something, and they need to go back and see what was going on.

John

P.S. What is 'bottom-posting' and why is it considered good? I was always told to put my reply at the top -- people don't like having to read the old stuff first, especially if they are blind or using an audio reader.... There's so much to learn, sigh.