Re: [galeon] How to map a parameterized projection to an EPSG code

Hi John,

This is a serious general problem I think.  In the case of
parameterized projections you could express the projection in
something GIS-friendly like WKT, but not all of these projections will
have an EPSG code of course.  (CRS identifiers don't need to be EPSG
codes, one could come up with another authority, but that's not the
real issue.)

It is a real problem that there are an infinite number of CRSs but WxS
expects the CRS to be identified by a code.  Perhaps a WxS extension
could use a resolvable URI as the code, which points to a document
that describes the CRS in machine-readable form?

We also have the problem of the "arbitrary" coordinate systems that
can only be expressed through an exhaustive listing of the lat-lon
points that comprise the grid.

I think this is one of the main challenges for mapping CF-NetCDF to OGC.

Cheers, Jon