Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Hi Jon:

I have attached the institutions we know - people are not required to registered. Note that some have multiple numbers (17 NOAA), and we know from what people have told us that often there is one download that is then distributed within the organization. I do know that NOOA/ NCOS for example has used the EDC extensively in their recent "ecosystem Assessments", and Eoin Howlett of ASA has been told the Australian Navy is using the EDC extensively, as is a branch of the US Coast Guard.

Many of the people who have requested the EDC are more policy oriented than scientifically oriented. ArcGIS is their tool of choice, and they just want to get the images into Arc. They don't care too much about the rest. The EDC is an ArcGIS plugin, with a graphical interface that is a combination of what you see in IDV and what is in NcBrowse, for the obvious reason that their code was used in the development. Though a variety of datasets have been accessed, the bulk of the requests have been for satellite data.

Clearly another possible solution is to provide a WMS service, but we have discovered that ESRI's WMS client only "sort of" follows the spec, and I believe it is WMS 1.1.1 not the most recent one. I like having the data sent and then imaged, as we are doing, as that allows for greater ultimate flexibility (if you check your EDC directory, you will se that there are netCDF files after any access.)

HTH,

-Roy