Re: [galeon] WCS CF-netCDF profile document

Steve,
My point in bringing in  JPEG2000 / JPIP into the discussion was that I view
the approach they are taking as a model for how the  OPeNDAP protocol might
become part of WCS.   It has been my intention to follow what those folks
are doing to bring the JPIP protocol in as a WCS extension standard and then
see whether it makes sense to do the same thing for OPeNDAP.

I realize the community JPEG2K/JPIP serves is different from the
CF/netCDF/OPeNDAP community, but I think they are setting a precedent that
we might follow.  This would be an avenue for making OPeNDAP a part of WCS
and would address the difficulty you mention of organizations that are
mandated to use OGC standards for data access.

To me, this is very much a part of the GALEON mission.  I brought it up as a
way to address what I thought was one of your main concerns.

As I see it, Stefano's draft CF-netCDF extension standard takes care of the
encoding specification.   The question now is whether there is someone who
can take a look at the proposed JPIP extension standard and do something
similar for OPeNDAP.

If there are other approaches, I'd love to hear them -- especially if
someone is ready to champion one of them in the WCS standards working group.

-- Ben