Re: [galeon] WCS and MIME types

Hi Folks

type. Thirdly, since CF is closely tied to NetCDF it could be argued
that CF implies NetCDF, meaning that "cf" in itself could be a valid
file type, but this isn't typical community usage.

nor is it the long term plan for CF, which has in the roadmap a clean distinction between CF conventions and their implementation as cf-netcdf .... (not I hasten to add because of any problems with netcdf, just the opposite, to make it easier to migrate to netcdf).

This is true.  But there's no reason why there should not be a .cf
file type (or equivalent).  In fact I think this might be rather
helpful - but that's probably another discussion.  Many systems
(especially web servers and browsers) map file extensions directly to
MIME types and helper applications.

I don't think so. See above. CF should be a convention which is different from a format.

Cheers
Bryan