Re: [galeon] WCS and MIME types

Hi Ethan,

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 19:56:17 Ethan Davis wrote:
Hi Dominic, all,

Dominic Lowe wrote:
I think perhaps there is a subtle difference in the CF case in that 'cf'
in itself is not a media format.

i.e. in the general case of "application/a+b" =A0my reading of the document
suggests that both a and b must be data/media formats. So while xhtml and
xml are both formats in there own right, cf is not - it is merely a
convention for writing NetCDF. There's no such thing as a CF file, only
netCDF files.

(Ethan wrote:)
In my mind the CF and netCDF relationship is very much like the XHTML
(or GML or ...) and XML relationship. XHTML defines the XML tags and
attributes that you can use to write XHTML. CF defines attributes and
variables for use in a netCDF file.

You state "that you can use to write XHTML", whereas I note you don't say "can use
to write CF" ;-)
I think this is the distinction for me, there is no such thing as a .cf file format
whereas  you can have a ".xhtml" file.

I fully understand your reasoning though - there are clear parallels between XHTML and
CF. There are also differences and it just depends which perspective you take. At the end
of the day I think either (+ or -) would be fine as long as our clients/dispatchers can
handle it. But my preference is for "-"   :-)

Regards
Dominic